Travelling is a great experience that everyone should plan for at least once. Going to a new and unfamiliar area is exciting, and you might even learn a thing or two about the world around you. Whenever you travel to a new area, it’s a good idea to go prepared, as you don’t know what you’ll encounter on your travels. This is why many people choose to invest in a small day backpack; this lightweight day backpack can hold everything from water to a change of clothes, and make your necessities easy to grab when you need them.
If you are planning your next trip out in the woods, or around a new location, you probably want to find a day backpack for hiking that holds all of your things while out and about. A day hiking backpack isn’t just for traversing out in the outdoors; you can use it for commuting between home and work, or you can carry these smaller backpacks around sightseeing. No matter what you want to use it for, a day hiking backpack is a great investment. Before looking for your next hiking day backpack, know exactly what it is you want to use it for. Bigger bags make for the best hiking backpacks out in the woods, while smaller day packs are ideal for travelling around town. Once you have your purpose down, you can then start to look at each bag’s features.
There are lots of options to look for, though, and not all hiking backpacks have the right features. The best hiking backpack has a large, roomy interior with enough pockets to hold your essentials, such as water and snacks. You should also look for proper support, such as a chest strap and the iconic S-shaped shoulder straps. These straps prevent you from becoming fatigued when carrying the backpack all through the day. Price is another good point to look out for, though there are plenty of high quality bags for under $50. As long as the hiking backpack has enough features to satisfy your needs, that is the best hiking backpack for you.
Venture Pal Lightweight Hiking Daypack
The VenturePal hiking backpack is the best backpack for hiking as it is a roomy, lightweight, and easy to carry day hiking pack that is sure to please even the avid hiker. It is the best day backpack for hiking as it features a durable, water-resistant exterior that keeps your things safe and dry, and stands up to being placed on rough terrain. The shoulder straps are thick and plush, giving you greater comfort while hiking through the trails. You can keep everything organized in the various compartments, while also ensuring that you can grab everything as you need it. It is the best hiking backpack for the money, having features that cater to both novice and experienced hikers.
- Lightweight, water-resistant material
- Shoulder support and sternum straps
- 35L carry capacity
- Easily organize everything for your next hiking daytrip
- A main zippered compartment holds all of your bulky items, while smaller side and front pockets hold all of your little necessities.
- Folds down small for optimal storage.
- 35L of storage may not be enough for frequent hikers.
Zomake Ultra Lightweight Travel Hiking Backpack
The Zomake lightweight hiking backpack is functional and stylish, with multiple colors to choose from. It’s made from exceptionally durable and lightweight material that functions not only to contain your items, but also to keep them dry. The Zomake is waterproof, so you can go to your destination without the fear of bad weather. It has just enough pockets to keep everything organized without being too complicated.
- 20 L main compartment, 2 side pockets, and a little front pocket for small storage
- Waterproof, tear resistant fabric.
- Lightweight, comfortable, and easy to wear.
- Is strong and sturdy, and effortlessly holds a full load.
- Comes in lots of different colors to suit your personality.
- Easy to wash and dry
- Material feels cheap, especially on the inside.
Neekfox Lightweight Packable Hiking Backpack
The Neekfox hiking backpack is a large, yet lightweight and versatile hiking backpack, perfect for day trips virtually anywhere. This hiking backpack is water and scratch resistant, giving it the perfect durability for being out in the woods. Featuring an expansive main compartment and several smaller side and interior pockets for other necessities, you won’t want to be without this hiking pack ever. This hiking day pack is so packed with features, it’s the best hiking backpack for the money.
- 35L and 44lbs capacity
- Ergonomically designed shoulder straps for optimal support
- Water and scratch resistant
- Extremely lightweight and easy to carry
- Sturdy construction, such as metal zippers and rip resistant fabric
- Folds up to a small size for storage
Teton Sports Oasis Hydration Backpack
The Teton Sports Oasis backpack is smaller than the other day backpacks in this list, but it’s still the best backpack for hiking. In fact, it’s one of the best small hiking backpacks available, especially considering the affordable price. Besides the nicely designed interior compartment, there is also an included water bladder built into the backpack for extra hydration while you are out in the woods. It’s also ergonomically designed to adequately support your shoulders, neck, and back while wearing.
- Water bladder to carry up to 2L of extra water.
- Low profile fit that is comfortable for everyone
- Lightweight, easy to carry, exceptionally durable.
- Lots of external pockets to hold everything from phones to snacks to waterbottles.
- Padded shoulder straps for comfort
- Easily washed and stored when not in use
- Only has 18 L of storage space in the main compartment.
Osprey Daylite Plus Daypack
This hiking backpack has a simple and sleek design, but more than delivers on the functionality front. Made of highly durable and rip-resistant nylon, it’s guaranteed to last you through even your rough and tumble adventures. It can hold up to 20L in the main compartment, and has an extra small pocket on the front for small things like a raincover or your phone. The stretchy nylon side pockets are great for water bottles and other must-have easy to grab accessories. This is considerably more expensive than other backpacks with the same holding capacity, but it’s also very well made.
- Ripstop nylon to prevent serious tears
- Die cut foam back panel for support
- Soft padded straps and a sternum strap for stability and support
- Lots of pockets inside and outside for storing everything from clothes to a laptop
- Can be used with other Osprey products (such as the hydration pack)
- Incredibly comfortable when worn
Choosing the best hiking backpack for you doesn’t have to be difficult. Knowing what kind of space you need, coupled with how you want to use your hiking day pack is a great first step to figuring out what kind of backpack you need. Secondly, a hiking backpack doesn’t have to be expensive. Some of the best day backpacks are well under $50, making them the best hiking backpacks for your money. Finally, knowing that your shoulders and back are supported will go a long way in ensuring that your day doesn’t end early; fatigue as a result of carrying an ill-fitting pack is all too common, so making sure that your hiking backpack has all the features you need before you buy is a must.