A camera backpack is a valuable resource for anyone who is or wants to get into photography. A good camera backpack allows you to go outside, ensuring that your camera and personal belongings are protected no matter the situation. A good quality camera backpack is a must for people who want to take their photography to the next level, as you may be spending whole weekends out in the bush for that perfect shot. However, not all camera backpacks are up to snuff, and new photographers may have a hard time finding the right backpack for them.
A few good things to look for your first camera backpack is the size, the padding, and how many compartments the backpack has. A camera is an expensive thing, and you don’t want to risk having it broken while you’re out hiking. Padding is a surefire way to ensure that your camera and lenses are fully protected while you’re moving about. The space inside the backpack (both with and without dividers) is also incredibly important. How many lenses do you want to bring? What kind of camera do you have? Many backpacks cater to the standard size DSLR camera, with enough room for 1 or 2 additional wide angle lenses. Ensuring that your backpack has more than enough space for your camera and accessories is incredibly important.
Another thing to look for is the price. The best camera backpacks will be considerably more expensive, because the price often dictates the quality. If all you want is an overnight bag that has room for your camera, you could save money. However, the best camera backpacks are those that cost between $100 and $200, as they have the padding, the protection, and the comfort that you need to survive a weekend.
There are lots of choices for your next camera backpack. Many of the best camera backpacks all exhibit the same qualities: lots of padding, lots of room, and enough customization to fit any shape of camera comfortably. While some camera backpacks are considerably more expensive than others, when looking for your next camera gear backpack, the price is often what you’re paying for the quality. A $20 camera backpack might get the job done, but it also may be missing some key features such as padding and extra compartments. On the other hand, a $120 backpack may have too many features that you’ll never use. Finding the backpack for you is a matter of knowing exactly what you’ll be using it for – whether you’re planning a weekend hike, or you’re planning to use it every day, find the features you want and choose a camera backpack based on that.
Thule Covert DSLR Backpack
This camera backpack is similar to other THULE products as it’s made with the same attention to detail and quality in mind. The large, roomy main compartment allows you to carry your camera, associated gear, and your personal belongings safely and securely. Numerous side and front pockets give you additional sorting options, and there is a specially designed pocket that can hold a 15” laptop with ease. The bottom of the backpack is padded, which gives you an additional layer of protection when setting the backpack down on rough and rocky terrain.
- Padded bottom for safety and security.
- Custom fit divider system keeps all of your gear safe, regardless of size.
- 54 cm high and 20 cm wide.
- Big enough for a prosumer DSLR camera or a drone, and can hold either accompanying accessories
- Dividers can be adjusted according to the objects placed inside, which gives a better overall fit.
- Lightweight and easy to carry, with strong, comfortable shoulder straps.
- A little big for daily commuting on public transportation.
Thule Aspect DSLR Backpack
This camera backpack is small and lightweight, making it the perfect camera backpack for women. Because of its light frame, it’s also one of the best cool camera backpacks on the market. It easily holds a small camera with a couple of lenses, as well as a 15” laptop and other personal items. The main compartment has multiple pockets that can be used to store, protect, and organize your belongings, plus it allows you to easily grab what you need without the hassle. This backpack is made of durable nylon fabric, which is great for being outside for long periods of time.
- Multiple straps for optimal comfort and support.
- Large main compartment with lots of dividing options.
- Durable, water-resistant nylon
- Enough space to make this a viable overnight bag as well as a camera carrying option
- Can carry your tripod and other small belongings (such as cords, cables, and a laptop)
- Hip and sternum straps give you the best support when carrying heavier gear.
LowePro 16L Photo Hatchback Camera Backpack
The LowerPro photo hatchback camera backpack is an all-in-one small camera backpack that holds virtually any DLSR camera, lenses, and accessories. If you own a GoPro instead, this backpack can definitely hold that instead. This camera gear backpack comes with a large, roomy main compartment with dividers to help organize and protect your things. While it can only hold either a camera or a GoPro, there’s enough space for either or and the accessories to go with it, as well as any additional personal items (such as clothing). Overall, it’s a great purchase for photographers of all experience levels.
- A removable, padded camera container
- Roomy main compartment with dividers for easy access.
- An all-weather cover to protect your camera and gear through wind, rain, and snow.
- Lightweight and versatile; easy to use both occasionally and daily.
- Easy to access important items, such as the camera.
- Can hold up to 1 camera, plus 2 lenses and small accessories.
Pelican U160 Elite Camera Backpack
This camera gear backpack is every professional photographer’s dream camera bag backpack. The Pelican U160 is a mix of hard and soft materials, and features ample padding in and around your expensive camera parts. It features a large main compartment, and several sub compartments that allow you to sort, organize, and protect even your most valuable belongings. The straps are sturdy and comfortable, and the bag itself can be used daily without too many problems.
- Waterproof, crush-proof exterior pockets allow you to protect your delicate equipment.
- The EVA liner is plush enough to protect your things, but can also be molded to suit your preference.
- 20 inches long by 13 inches wide, and 9 inches deep.
- The ideal small camera backpack that fits most DSLR cameras and lenses.
- Easily store camera, lenses, cords, and your personal belongings all in one place.
- Lightweight and easy to carry.
- Expensive, and only holds about 2 extra lenses comfortably.
Kattee Canvas DSLR Camera Backpack
The Kattee Canvas camera bag is a must have for any aspiring photographer. It has ample room for your camera equipment as well as any other necessities you may want to bring. The main compartment is incredibly roomy, and can hold up to a weekend’s worth of clothing if you pack well. Pockets around the outside are great for cords, cellphone, and other small items that you might need out in the great outdoors. The canvas on this camera gear backpack is incredibly durable, and the straps are more than secure enough to keep everything contained nicely. As an added bonus, this camera gear backpack comes with a rain cover that will keep it nice and dry should the weather turn sour.
- Roomy interior space for all of your must-haves. Exterior pockets are also roomy, allowing you to take more camera equimpent with you at once.
- Lightweight, easy to store, and easy to clean
- Rain cover keeps your backpack – and everything inside – nice and dry.
- Canvas is thick and resilient, allowing it to stand up to daily wear and tear.
- The straps are very sturdy, and because the leather accents are genuine leather, they’re set to last for a good few years.
- For a bag like this, the price falls in the mid- to low-end range, perfect for people just getting into photography and need something cheap.
- Two separate main compartments for stuff.
- Canvas in itself is not incredibly waterproof, nor is it very padded.
Beaspire Camera Sling Waterproof Backpack
The Beaspire camera backpack is perfect for photographers who find themselves out on the water for that perfect shot. This camera backpack not only features a large, roomy interior, but it’s also waterproof, meaning if it gets wet, your camera and lenses are protected 100%. It’s one of the best cool camera backpacks because of its lightweight material, so you won’t overheat carrying this around. Your items will also stay cozy in the padded compartments. This camera backpack holds your DSLR camera as well as up to 3 extra lenses and other necessary accessories.
- Waterproof and shockproof: enjoy your travels without worrying about whether your camera will get there in one piece.
- Made of durable nylon, ensuring that it can stand up to the occasional bump and scratch without compromising the contents.
- Roomy interior with dividers allows you to carry your clothes, books, tripod, notebook, and other necessities.
- 17 inches tall, 10 inches across, and 7 inches deep.
- Very large interior, with numerous pockets and dividers to hold all of your things.
- Comfortable to wear through the day. This camera backpack can even be worn on your daily commute as it doesn’t take up too much space.
- The price is right for anyone looking for their first camera backpack.
Bluboon Vintage Canvas Backpack
Roomy and stylish, this canvas camera backpack is a great addition to any photographer’s collection. It’s great for holding all of your little accessories, as well as clothes and bulkier items when on the go. While it doesn’t have as much padding as traditional camera backpacks, it’s great for the person with a standard point-and-shoot camera. This canvas camera backpack has numerous pockets for a charge cable, memory cards, as well as daily necessities such as books, clothes, and toiletries. Ideal for the novice photographer.
- Soft, supple canvas material allows for stretching over time, and is incredibly durable.
- Leather straps are strong and sturdy, keeping your things inside the backpack compartments.
- 22.6L capacity; ideal for daily use.
- Lots of pockets to help keep organized. Big pockets to store your bulkier and awkwardly shaped items, and small pockets for your earbuds, charge cords, and other little necessities.
- The canvas is incredibly durable, which makes it a long lasting product.
- Cheaper than traditional camera bags, with just as much room to put your stuff.
- Not padded, which means lenses and cameras may break if the bag is dropped.
Thule Crossover 32L backpack
The Thule Crossover camera backpack is the ideal companion when carrying your camera. It’s lightweight, easy to wear, and is incredibly comfortable for travelling long distances, making it a great camera backpack for women. This camera gear backpack is incredibly roomy, able to carry not just your camera, but also your lenses, tripod, and other photographing necessities. The main compartment is secure and spacious, allowing you to carry clothing, food, and other small necessities. This camera bag backpack is great for campers and avid photographers alike.
- Roomy main compartment for everything you want to carry with you
- A secure, hardshell compartment on the outside allows you to keep valuables safe.
- Pockets specifically designed to hold your 17” macbook, and a pocket made for an iPad
- The roomy, 32L compartment is great for weekend camping trips, as you can hold a couple changes of clothes.
- Secure and comfortable to wear; no chance of your gear falling out.
- The security pocket is crush-proof, and can be locked for added security.
- A little too big for daily commuter use (such as on trains or bus)