Backpacking in the wilderness can be a fun and rewarding experience for everyone, but not everyone is excited about sleeping on the ground. Air mattresses have a tendency to dip in the middle, and foam mattresses are often too thin to be comfortable. No one likes waking up on the cold, hard ground, which is why many hiking enthusiasts are moving to a lightweight backpacking hammock, which not only keeps you off the ground, but also exceptionally comfortable on the go. They are also easy to pack and store, which is a bonus if you plan to be out for several days at a time.
Honest Outfitters Single and Double Camping Hammock
The Honest Outfitters backpacking hammock is a great choice for people who are looking for a great hammock at a reasonable price. It is made of durable and lightweight nylon that helps keep the heat inside, while also keeping out wind and cold during a breezy night. Additionally, it can hold two people comfortably, which makes family camping feel more like home. This product comes with everything you need to get your hammock up in a matter of minutes: two carabiners, two heavy duty parachute straps, and a large - yet lightweight - hammock. Great for camping, hiking, or simply hanging out.
- Large, and can support up to 500lbs between two people
- Inexpensive, giving you more bang for your buck.
- The provided straps make initial set up a little more difficult.
- Smaller in length than some models, which may make sleeping a little more challenging for tall people.
Wise Owl Outfitters Single & Double Camping Hammock
Like the Honest Outfitters model, this brand of camping hammock comes in both single and double varieties. It is made out of durable and lightweight parachute material which gives you a sleeping-on-air feeling, and it does help keep the colder air out during the evening. When packing, it condenses up to the size of a large grapefruit which makes it ideal to carry during long hiking trips. This model of backpacking hammock comes in a variety of colors, so it’s easy to choose the right color and style for your personal taste.
- Cheap but great quality manufacturing.
- Compact packing and storage ensures that you can carry more of what matters.
- More narrow than other models, which can pose an issue for people with broader shoulders.
Winner Outfitters Double Camping Hammock
The Winner Outfitters backpacking hammock is another dual-person hammock that can support up to 500lbs. It’s made of the same quality parachuting material and heavy duty stitching as other models on this list. What makes this product different is that it uses cordage instead of straps for hanging, which not only makes it easier to set up, but also allows for more give when laying down. This is the best hammock for backpacking because of how roomy it is, but it can also be used just for a single person if you’re looking for more room to move around.
- Large enough for two people to lay comfortably, but can also be used for a single person.
- Easy, 3 minute set-up ensures that you will be enjoying your hammock in record time.
- Cord has a tendency to stretch slightly, and has more movement during windy weather.
Bear Butt Double Hammock
The Bear Butt backpacking hammock is a great choice for camping. Not only is it inexpensive, but it also features strong manufacturing and reinforced cords to help keep you off the ground through the night. This model is a double hammock, which means there is more than enough room for two people to comfortably lay together. Whether you’re backpacking with your friends, or just setting up in your backyard, this is a great choice for any camping occasion.
- This two person backpacking hammock can hold up to 500lbs, but has been tested for 900lbs.
- It’s incredibly strong and durable, and resists rips or tears.
- The ropes are exceptionally stretchy, and require some knowledge of knotting to get the best experience.
Legit Camping Double Hammock
The Legit Camping Double Hammock is a great double hammock for yourself or the kids, as it’s roomy enough to support up to 500lbs with room to spare. Its compact storage and lightweight material makes this an ideal addition to any camping or hiking trips you may embark on. It comes with metal carabiners and sturdy straps to hang from the trees, and because it’s so secure, you can be sure that you won’t slip to the ground overnight. This lightweight backpacking hammock comes in a variety of colors, perfect for both visibility and style.
- Comes with straps, carabiners, and a carrying case to keep everything together.
- Large, roomy size makes this an ideal choice for couples.
- Slightly more expensive than other, similar models on this list.
- No way to close the hammock, and there is no bug screen.
CUTEQUEEN TRADING Nylon Fabric Backpacking Hammock
A much cheaper alternative, the CUTEQUEEN nylon hammock offers both function and style when backpacking. It features two sizes, numerous colors, and comfort that is hard to beat. Of course, you will have to pay more for the different sizes, but both models run in at under $30, which is a steal. It comes with straps, carabiners, as well as a compression sack for storing your hammock over the long term. It has very sturdy engineering, but it is also exceptionally lightweight which makes walking from place to place hassle-free.
- Lightweight, portable design for long hiking trips.
- Everything to set up the hammock is included.
- The included ropes are a bit slippery, and customers have noted that they can slip slightly.
FLAGSHIP-X Double Backpack Hammock with Firestarter Braceletsw
The Flagship-X is a unique addition to this list in that it features a heavy-duty nylon hammock with a reinforced stitch around the outside. This ensures that your sleep is safe and sturdy, without the worry of developing rips and tears from use. It’s fairly weather resistant, and keeps the cold out in a pinch. This model also comes with a survival paracord bracelet for long hikes out in the woods. The best part about this backpacking hammock is that it is also under $30, which is a great buy for the quality you’d be getting.
- Sturdy, tear resistant fabric makes this a top choice among backpackers.
- Included paracord bracelet.
- Set-up is a bit more complicated, especially for new backpackers
Newdora Camping Hammock
When looking for the best hammock for backpacking, you want something that’s a mix of value and quality, without sacrificing either. The Newdora two person backpacking hammock is perfect for first time backpackers that don’t want to invest a lot of money in. Despite it being so cheap, it features quality stitching and sturdy nylon fabric that holds up to 600lbs comfortably. The holding straps are easy to set up, and storage is a snap with the small carrying bag. This is the ideal hammock for anyone looking to go on a weekend trip.
- Holds up to 600lbs, is durable, weather resistant, and can be cleaned easily.
- High quality nylon ensures that you don’t have to worry about rips or tears with standard use.
- The rope that comes with it is a tad short, which makes hanging a little harder if there are no suitable trees.
Covacure Camping Hammock
The ultimate in backpacking comfort; the Covacure backpacking hammock is everything you need to enjoy a weekend out in the woods. Not only does it utilize strong nylon fabric as a base, but it also has a sprawling bug net to keep you and the critters outside at a comfortable distance. This deluxe camping hammock is as light as a feather, compact, and easy to carry around for long trips. Cleaning is a breeze, and storage is even easier. For the price, this is a backpacking hammock that cannot be beat.
- Included bug net to keep mosquitos away.
- Large, roomy design allows for 440lbs of weight at once.
- Slightly smaller weight limit than other models on this list.
- Several backpacking hammock reviews mention this model’s short straps for hanging.
TinyBigAdventure Eclypse II Camping Hammock
This backpacking hammock is functionally similar to that of the Covacure. It features a bug net that will help keep the mosquitos and flies away, and it also uses sturdy, ripstop nylon to help keep this hammock looking new for longer. This is the best hammock for backpacking, especially for the price. With the addition of its light weight and compact design, you’d be hard pressed to find anything that even comes close to the quality and comfort of this hammock. The included ropes and carabiners make set up a breeze, allowing you to enjoy the great outdoors faster than ever.
- Included bug screen keeps the insects at bay, allowing you to sleep easier.
- Roomy enough for two, perfect for just one.
- The net is not a removable feature, and is permanently affixed to the hammock.
- The bug net has a tendency to sag down into the hammock.